09 Jul Change Your Thinking Change Your Life
What situation in your life could benefit from forward movement if you were willing to open your mind? Take a minute to really think about this. Is there an area in your life where your thoughts are what are holding you back?
You might be:
- In a job that doesn’t fit with your goals, but you think you have to stay for security.
- Ready to go back to school and get a degree, but you are stuck on the idea that college is for young people.
- Want to find a way to help your community, but you don’t know what you can offer.
- Want to start your own business, but imposter syndrome* has you convinced you aren’t as talented/skilled/knowledgeable as other people in the field.
- At your wits end with a difficult child, but you’re convinced, “This is just the way it is.”
- Are ready to finally get healthy, but the options for how to do it are so overwhelming you do nothing.
My friend, the word “but” can be trap in our lives.
It convinces us that where we are is where we have to stay. If you change your thinking, your whole perspective changes! Look what a little mindset shift can do to each of the situations I listed.
You might be:
- In a job that doesn’t fit with your goals, and the benefits and security you need might be even better through another employer.
- Ready to go back to school and get a degree, and you are excited about the prospect of spending time with and learning with young people.
- Wanting to find a way to help your community, so you sit down and make a list of volunteer work you would enjoy.
- Wanting to start your own business, so you make a plan, set goals, and cast a mighty vision.
- At your wits end with a difficult child, so you reach out for help because we aren’t in this parenting thing alone.
- Ready to finally get healthy, so you make an appointment with a nutritionist and a personal trainer.
Your beliefs direct you in your moment-by-moment choices and actions. You can choose to dwell on the “but” in your situation or you can take positive action. What you believe drives your viewpoint and your mindset in every situation. That means your beliefs actually become self-fulfilling prophecies in your life. Our beliefs shape our perceptions, our perceptions define our experience, and we find meaning in our lives from our experiences. Thoughts are things, and they become our reality.
To change your life, you first have to change your reality—your thoughts. We each have the ability to choose our thoughts and think things on purpose. In other words, you don’t have to think about whatever falls into your mind. This is a life-changing revelation! As Proverbs 23:7 (AMP) says, “As [a person] thinks in his heart, so is he.” We say it like this: Where the mind goes, your life will follow.
To find the answers to the obstacles you are facing in your life, are you willing to change your thinking and turn your mindset inside out?
*Impostor syndrome (also known as impostor phenomenon, impostorism, fraud syndrome or the impostor experience) is a psychological pattern in which one doubts one’s accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a “fraud”.